Tuesday 23 October 2012

The play-date is over - redeeming 'best enemies'



So I've 1-2 best enemies in my life (no, no names!)

They're pretty much self-made. They achieved it through a concerted effort to run over other people (sometimes me, mostly others).

Such people suffer from a complete lack of emotional intelligence.

A few exhibits from the Night Gallery (with a nod to the great Rod Serling):

Picture a person who:
  • promised to help another, while disparaging them behind their back; or
  • repeatedly practices 'blunt is the new black'; or
  • believes its ok to actively exclude others. 
Do you know such people? I know all three. Phew they make it tough to include them!

They miss out on a lot.

I have to wonder what we miss out on, by keeping them as 'best enemies'

I'm asking myself some tough questions:
  • How has keeping them as a 'best enemy' improved my life?
  • What do they know that could make others lives better?
  • Does this take energy keeping them at a distance?
  • What role have I played in this broken relationship?
  • Do I want more of this?
One thing's clear - 'best enemies' hasn't driven anything constructive.

Maybe the phrase 'keep your friends close and your enemies closer' has a different interpretation.

How do you handle your best enemies?

No comments:

Post a Comment