Monday 13 May 2013

Attitude control and effective leadership

Flying, attitude control and crashes


Early efforts at fixed-wing aircraft design succeeded in generating sufficient lift to get the aircraft off the ground, but once aloft, the aircraft proved uncontrollable, often with disastrous results. The development of effective flight controls is what allowed stable flight. This is known as attitude control.

It occurred to me that leadership is a lot like flying a plane - taking off is easy but without proper attitude control the leadership provides unstable, also with disastrous results.

Better control; better flight; better leadership


In attitude trumphs skill I wrote about how leadership is primarily judged on attitudes seen so what would constitute ‘attitude control’ for leadership?

Here’s 8 key behaviours (with thanks to Charlie Pellerin),  that show the right attitude in leadership, by example– which do you live the best / find the hardest?

1.       Clarifying roles, accountability and authority for team members

2.       My gratitude helps others feel appreciated

3.       I work with others to find shared goals and interests

4.       I evaluate and appropriately include others

5.       I clarify agreements, keeping them and renegotiating in advance before they are broken

6.       I call out unpleasant realities and present realistic solutions

7.       I am 100% committed to the outcome I’m seeking

8.       I recognise and shift drama  in myself and others towards resolution

9.       My behaviour and language confirm what results I am accountable to produce

No comments:

Post a Comment